Soft Shell Crab BLT Sandwich
|4 large soft shell crabs, cleaned|
|1 cup evaporated milk|
|1 cup corn flour|
|12 strips of bacon|
|4 thick slices of tomato|
|2 cups shredded lettuce|
|4 ciabatta rolls, lightly toasted|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|4 slices of pepper jack cheese|
|canola oil for deep frying|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This is a wonderful BLT sandwich with the addition of a crispy fried soft shell crab.
- Fry the bacon until almost crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile fill a large saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full of oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the soft shell crabs to the evaporated milk, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the corn flour. Shake off excess.
- Fry the crabs in the hot oil until golden and crispy. About 5 minutes.
- To assemble the sandwiches, split the ciabatta rolls and lightly toast, then spread each side with mayonnaise.
- Add a slice of pepper jack to each bottom roll, then 4 strips of bacon, a thick slice of tomato, then a soft shell crab.
- Top each sandwich with shredded lettuce, season with salt and pepper and add the top roll.