Jamaican Papaya Chutney
- 6 cups green (unripe papaya) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups onion, minced
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 fresh hot red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 red or green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbs kosher salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 and 1/2 cups sugar
This is a very spicy chutney that is made with unripe papaya.
- Put all of the ingredients, except for the sugar into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook, uncovered stirring from time to time until the mixture is thick, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with cold meats, steak, lamb or roast chicken.
- Makes 4 (1 pint) jars bottled while hot, sealed and stored for later use.