Jamaican Papaya Chutney
|6 cups green (unripe papaya) cut into 1 inch cubes|
|2 cups onion, minced|
|1 cup seedless raisins|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|6 fresh hot red peppers, seeded and chopped|
|4 red or green bell peppers, seeded and chopped|
|1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and minced|
|1/2 tsp allspice|
|2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|2 tbs kosher salt|
|2 cups vinegar|
|2 and 1/2 cups sugar|
This is a very spicy chutney that is made with unripe papaya.
- Put all of the ingredients, except for the sugar into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook, uncovered stirring from time to time until the mixture is thick, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with cold meats, steak, lamb or roast chicken.
- Makes 4 (1 pint) jars bottled while hot, sealed and stored for later use.