- 1 and 1/4 cups sugar
- grated rind of 1 lime
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Convectioners sugar to taste
- slivers of lime rind for garnish
- In a small heavy pan, dissolve the sugar in 2 and 1/2 cups of water, without stirring over medium heat.
- When sugar has dissolved bring to the boil and continue to boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heat and leave to cool.
- Combine the cooled sugar syrup and lime rind and juice in a measuring bowl, stir well, then taste and adjust the flavor by adding some lemon juice of some confectioners sugar. Do not over sweeten.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream machine, and follow the manfacturers directions.
- If you do not have an ice cream machine, pour the mixture into a metal or plastic freezer container and freeze for about 3 hours, until softly set.
- Remove the ixture from the container and chop coarsley into 3 inch pieces, then place in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the freezer container and freeze again until set.
- Repeat this freezing and chopping process several times or until a smooth consistency has been achieved.
- Serve decorated with slivers of lime rind.