Chicken and Eggplant Parmigiana
- 2 lb eggplants
- 1 and 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch sugar
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Slice the eggplants lenghtwise.
- Blanch in batches in boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush each side of the eggplant slices with a little oil and brown under a hot broiler a few minuntes on each side. Let cool.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a saute pan and quickly brown the chicken breasts on both sides. About 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Thinly slice the onion with the garlic until softened and golden.
- Stir in the tomatoes, nutmeg, oregano, sugar and seasoning.
- Spoon the tomato mixture into a 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Arrange overlapping rows of chicken, eggplant, and mozzarella on the tomato mixture.
- Top with any remaining Paramesan and bake uncovered in a preheated 375 degree oven until the chicken is cooked and golden brown. About 35-40 minutes.