Chicken and Eggplant Parmigiana
|2 lb eggplants|
|1 and 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts|
|1 egg beaten|
|1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 large onion, thinly sliced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 (16 oz) can crushed tomatoes|
|pinch freshly grated nutmeg|
|2 tsp dried oregano|
|1/2 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced|
- Slice the eggplants lenghtwise.
- Blanch in batches in boiling salted water for 2 minutes.
- Drain and refresh under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush each side of the eggplant slices with a little oil and brown under a hot broiler a few minuntes on each side. Let cool.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a saute pan and quickly brown the chicken breasts on both sides. About 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Thinly slice the onion with the garlic until softened and golden.
- Stir in the tomatoes, nutmeg, oregano, sugar and seasoning.
- Spoon the tomato mixture into a 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Arrange overlapping rows of chicken, eggplant, and mozzarella on the tomato mixture.
- Top with any remaining Paramesan and bake uncovered in a preheated 375 degree oven until the chicken is cooked and golden brown. About 35-40 minutes.