- 4 large crisp lettuce leaves
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned diced green chilies, chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup Monterrey pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Dash chili powder
- Fresh cilantro for garnish.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on 4 plates.
- Using 1/2 tsp oil, lightly oil bottom and side of a large saute pan and place over high heat.
- When hot, add tortillas one at a time, cooking until lightly browned on both sides. Oil pan as needed.
- Place each hot tortilla over lettuce.
- Place 1 tsp of oil in the pan and when hot add the onion and bell pepper and stir-fry over high heat until crisp-tender.
- Add the green chilies and tomato and stir-fry until heated through.
- Spoon over tortillas, dividing mixture evenly.
- In a medium bowl, beat together eggs and egg whites until well blended.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Add remaining 1 tsp of oil to the pan and when hot add the egg mixture. Stir until slightly scrambled.
- Spoon over hot tortillas and sprinkle each with cheese.
- Add a dash of chili powder to each.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.