Indian Kashmiri Chicken
|3lbs mixed boneless skinless chicken meat (light and dark)|
|4 tbs ghee (clarified butter)|
|3 large onions, finely sliced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|10 cardamom seeds, crushed|
|1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick|
|1 (2 inch) piece of fresh ginger, grated|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1 hot green or red pepper, seeded and chopped|
|2 tsp turmeric|
|2 tsp paprika|
|1 cup plain Greek yogurt|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
- Rinse the chicken, pat dry and set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a large skillet with a lid.
- Add the onions, black pepper, cardamom and cinnamon and cook until the onions are golden. About 10 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic, hot pepper, chili powder, turmeric, paprika and salt, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until nicely browned, stirring often.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt and wine and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually add the yogurt mix to the skillet, stirring constantly until fully incorporated.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with Basmati rice.