Saffron Rice with Shrimp
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup Basmanti rice
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 2 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Place a large saucepan over high heat and add oil.
- When hot, add bell pepper and saute for about 1 minute.
- Remove strips to a bowl, then add onion and saute for about 1 minute.
- Stir in rice and saffron and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Add the shrimp during the last 3 minutes of cooking the rice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the bell pepper.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and shrimp are cooked through.
- Add to a platter and fluff through.