Scallops with Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dry white wine
- 1 tbs Mirin
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 lb large sea scallops
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- crisp lettuce leaves
- In a 2 cup measure, stir together, sugar, white win, mirin and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a pie plate, combine the flour and white pepper.
- Coat each scallop with flour mixture, then shake off excess.
- In a wok or large frying pan over high heat add the oil.
- When hot, add enough scallops to cover the bottom of the pan, but do not over crowd.
- Cook for about 1 and 1/2 minutes, then turn and cook the other side for about 1 minute. Do not over cook.
- when all scallops are cooked, pour off any remaining oil.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the sugar mixture, stirring constantly, until mixture slightly thickens.
- Add cooked scallops and turn in simmering liquid until well coated, about 1 minute.
- Serve each scallop in a lettuce leaf, along with remaining sauce.