Pork Neck Bones with Mushrooms and Potatoes
- 4 lbs pork neck bones, trimmed of excess fat
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion, choppped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small can roma tomatoes, drained
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms
- 2 large ribs celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
Pork neck bones are a southern staple. When cooked low and slow they are absolutely delicious.
- Add vegetable to a large stock pot and heat using medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and celery and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the neck bones and saute for another 3 minutes, turning frequently.
- Add the chicken broth, making sure that the neck bones are covered. If necessary add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Add the mushrooms and potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer the mixture to a large baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 325 degree preheated oven for 2 hours.