Pasta with Saffron Cream Asparagus and Peas
|1/2 tsp saffron|
|2 tbs boiling water|
|1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed|
|1 lb fresh pasta of your choice|
|1 tbs unsalted butter|
|2 shallots, minced|
|1 and 1/2 cups light cream|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 (10 oz) package frozen peas, thawed|
|1 strip lemon peel, finely sliced|
|fresh Parmesan cheese|
- Immerse saffron in boiling water and set aside.
- Cut off asparagus tips into 2 inch lengths.
- Cut remaining stalks diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until tender. About 3-4 minutes.
- Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the peas to the asparagus water and cook for about 2 minutes, then drain. Set aside.
- In the same pot, cook the pasta al dente, according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a skillet and gently cook the shallots until they are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cream and saffron water.
- Boil to reduce slightly and season with salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus and peas.
- When pasta is done, add to the cream sauce, turning to coat.
- Add the lemon peel and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.