- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 tbs butter
- 3 eggs
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fresh orange juice
This is a classic French cookies that goes well with coffee or tea.
- Traditionally, Madeleine’s are baked in small shell shaped pans.
- If you do not have Madeleine pans, use individual muffin pan cups or brioche pans.
- Sift flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- Melt butter, but do not brown, then cool.
- Mix eggs into flour and sugar with a wooden spoon, then gradually add cooled butter, salt, ground almonds orange juice and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grease pans with butter.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, then half fill pans with cake batter.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden, then cool on a rack.