|1 green bell pepper, diced|
|1 red bell pepper, diced|
|1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced|
|2 medium onion, diced|
|5 ribs of celery, diced|
|10 garlic cloves, minced|
|6 tbs butter|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tbs Worcestershire sauce|
|1 tsp ground nutmeg|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
|Dash of Tabasco sauce|
|1 and 1/4 cups ketchup, divided|
|1/2 cup milk|
|1-2 cups bread crumbs|
|2 lbs ground chuck|
|1 lb ground pork|
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Over medium high heat, melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the peppers, celery, onion and garlic and saute for several minutes or until they slightly soften.
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne, nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add several dashes of Tabasco and 1/2 cup of ketchup.
Continue stirring to combine.
- Remove from the heat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for several minutes, then add the milk.
- Stir until combined.
- Next add at least 1 cup of the bread crumbs. Continue adding breadcrumbs and stirring until the mixture is a thick paste.
- Place the ground beef and pork in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the milk.
- Begin incorporating the vegetable mixture into the meat and mix until it is well blended.
- Line a sheet pan or baking dish with aluminum foil and using your hands form the meat mixture into a loaf.
- In a small bowl mix together the remaining ketchup and honey and slather this sauce over the top of the whole meatloaf.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.