Indian Sesame Shrimp with Mint Chutney
|2 lbs extra large shrimp (about 24)|
|1/4 cup flour|
|1 egg lightly beaten|
|2/3 cup dry bread crumbs|
|1/2 cup sesame seeds|
|oil for deep frying|
- 1 and 3/4 oz mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fruit chutney
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- Peel the shrimp, leaving the tails intact.
- Carefully cut the shrimp down the back, devein and flatten slightly.
- Toss the shrimp in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Mix the sesame seeds and bread crumbs.
- Dip the floured shrimp into the beaten egg, then coat with the bread crumbs and sesame seeds.
- Fill a large sauce pan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- Deep fry the shrimp in batches for about 2 minutes for each batch, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- To make the mint chutney, combine the mint, chutney and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve as a dip.