- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 lb button mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 and 1/2 tbs ap flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbs dry sherry
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
This is a super rich gravy with deep flavors that uses Porcini, button and cremini mushrooms.
- Place the dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl, and cover with boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain using a wire mesh strainer and reserve the liquid.
- Chop the Mushrooms and reserve.
- place 2 tbs of butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- When butter has melted, add onions and garlic.
- Saute lightly until onions have softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add the button mushrooms in 2 batches and stir over medium high heat until lightly browned, about 6-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in 2 tbs of the flour.
- Continuously stir mixture for about 1 minute.
- Add the sherry and scrape the bottom to remove all of the crispy bits.
- Pour the mixture out into a bowl and reserve.
- Wipe out the pan and add the remaining tbs of butter.
- Saute the cremini mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Stir in the chopped cremini and add the remaining half tbs of flour and stir for about 1 minute, then stir in 2 tbs of sherry and dislodge any brown bits remaining in the pan.
- Add 1 half cup of the stock if necessary.
- Add the reserved cooked remaining stock to the saute pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Allow the gravy to cool for 30 minutes, then add to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the saute pan, gently simmer, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.