Spicy Fruit Buttermilk Cookies with Brandy
|3 cups ap flour|
|1 tsp baking soda|
|1/2 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp ground cloves|
|1/2 tsp ground allspice|
|1/2 tsp powdered ginger|
|1/2 cup buttermilk|
|2 sticks butter, softened|
|1 and 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, packed|
|1 tbs pure vanilla extract|
|1 lb red candied cherries, chopped|
|2 cups chopped dates|
|1/2 lb candied pineapple rings, chopped|
|6 cups chopped walnuts|
|3 tbs brandy|
These are some wonderfully chewy, spicy cookies that contain dried cherries, pineapple, dates and walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and ginger. Set aside.
- in an extra large mixing bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix together well.
- Fold in the candied fruit, dates and walnuts.
- Drop by the rounded teaspoon full onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, brush the with brandy while still on the cookie sheets..
- Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Store in a tightly covered container.