Spicy Indian Chickpea Curry
|4 (16 oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|1/2 cup vegetable oil|
|1 tsp whole cumin seed|
|2 medium onions, chopped|
|2 jalapeno or other hot chilies, seeded and diced|
|2 medium ripe tomatoes|
|4 tsp garam masala|
|1 tsp ground ginger|
|1 tsp turmeric|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|4-6 cups water or if you want non vegetarian, use chicken stock|
This is vegetarian food at it’s best.
- Chop the onions and chili peppers.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cumin seed and cook, stirring, frequently so they don’t stick. Cook until they start to pop. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the onions and reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix the spices with 3 tbs of water, let stand for 5 minutes, then add to the onions, stirring and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Core and chop the tomatoes and add to the pan. Stir well.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and stir well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper and add enough water or stock to cover.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
- Add more water if necessary or increase the heat if mixture seems to liquidy.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.