Classic Sage Rosemary and Sausage Dressing
|2 French Baguettes cut into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes (9 cups)|
|1/2 lb bulk sausage|
|1 large onion, diced|
|2 ribs celery, diced|
|2 cups chicken or turkey stock|
|1/2 cup buttermilk|
|1 egg, lightly beaten|
|1 tbs fresh thyme leaves|
|1 tbs fresh sages leaves, chopped or 2 tsp rubbed sage|
|2 tbs fresh Italian parsley, chopped|
|3 sprigs rosemary, removed from stalk and chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Spread the bread crumbs onto a baking sheet and bake the cubes for 40 to 50 minutes to dry them out.
- In a large frying pan, cook the sausage, onions and celery until the sausage is browned.
- In a bowl, combine the stock, buttermilk, egg, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour into the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add the bread cubes and mix, then spread in a lightly greased glass baking dish.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the dressing to re-mix.
- Roast the stuffing, covered for about 45 minutes, then remove and bake for 10 minutes longer to brown the top.