Ham and Mushroom Croquettes
|1/2 stick unsalted butter|
|1 small onion, minced|
|1/4 lb mushrooms, finely chopped|
|3/4 cup flour|
|1 cup milk|
|3/4 cup chicken stock|
|1/4 lb ham, finely chopped|
|1/2 cup flour (extra)|
|2 eggs lightly beaten|
|1/2 cup dry bread crumbs|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|oil for deep frying|
- Melt butter in a saute pan over low heat and cook the onion for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir over medium low heat for about 1 minute, or until the mixture begins to change color and is somewhat smooth.
- Slowly stir in the milk and stock, while whisking. The mixture will thicken and as you add more stock and milk it will be come smooth.
- Stir in the ham and a little salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and let cool for several hours.
- When completely cool, roll tablespoons of the mixture into croquet shapes.
- Place the extra flour, beaten eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Toss the croquet’s in the flour, knocking off excess flour, then into the eggs and then into the bread crumbs.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Fill a deep saucepan or deep fryer 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- When oil is hot, deep fry the croquettes in batches for about 3 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.