|2 and 1/2 lbs oxtails, trimmed|
|3 tbs flour|
|1 tbs oil|
|2 strips bacon, chopped|
|1 small onion, peeled and studded with 6 cloves|
|4 garlic cloves,|
|2 carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise|
|1 and 1/2 cups beef stock|
|1 (15 oz) can tomato puree|
|1 parsnip, peeled and quartered leastwise|
|1 leek, white part only, thickly sliced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Trim any fat from oxtail and discard.
- Put the oxtail in a large bowl, cover with water and set aside for 3 hours.
- Drain and transfer meat to a large heavy pan, cover with fresh water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, skimming away any fat from the surface.
- Drain meat, allow to cool and pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the flour and a little salt and pepper in a plastic or paper bag, add the oxtails and shake to coat with flour. Knock off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the bacon and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently,
- Remove bacon from pan, then add the oxtail and cook stirring continuously over medium high heat until browned all over.
- Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the bacon, onion, garlic and half of the carrot, then stir in the stock and tomato puree and bake for 3 hours covered.
- Add the remaining vegetables and cook for another 30-40 minutes or until tender.