The Best Ever Caramel Apples
|10 red delicious or Jonathan apples|
|10 wooden skewers|
|2 cups sugar|
|1 cup light corn syrup|
|1 cup heavy cream|
|1 cup evaporated milk|
|1 tsp salt|
|1 tsp vanilla extract|
|1 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped|
Candy Caramel apples were our favorite as a kid. I just couldn’t wait to taste that sweet caramel, crunchy nuts, and the sweet surprise with that oh so sweet apple inside. Here is a foolproof method to make your own. Your kids will love you even more! For best results use a candy/frying thermometer.
- Wash apples thoroughly and dry. Remove stems and insert sturdy wooden skewers. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook sugar, syrup, and cream over medium heat stirring constantly to 235 degrees.
- Gradually add half of the evaporated milk. Allow the caramel to heat up to 235 degrees again then add the rest of the evaporated milk.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly to 242 degrees.
- Remove the pan from the heat; let stand undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt and vanilla. Set mixture over hot water.
- Dip each apple, twirling to coat. Allow excess caramel to drip back into the pan.
- Immediately roll the apple in chopped nuts.
- Place on a well-buttered tray and allow it to cool completely.
- They can be stored up to one week in plastic wrap in the fridge.