Italian Vegetable Bake
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 cup chopped onion|
|1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped|
|1 orange or red pepper, seeded and chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|4 plum tomatoes, chopped\|
|1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped|
|2/3 cup tomato juice|
|3 cups cooked rice|
|1/2 cup goat cheese|
|1/2 cup dry bread crumbs|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 tsp oregano|
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large non stick skillet, heat the olive oil using medium heat, then add the onion, eggplant, peppers and garlic.
- Season with salt, pepper and oregano and saute for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and tomato juice and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly greased casserole dish, then add the rice and mix thoroughly.
- Dollop with goat cheese and sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.