Root Vegetable Gratin
|8 cups sliced root vegetables (rutabaga, parsnip, turnip, Yukon gold potatoes, carrots) slice potatoes thicker as they will cook faster.|
|6 cups water|
|1 cup mil|
|1/3 cup chicken broth|
|2 tbs flour|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded|
|2 tbs butter|
|1/4 cup panko bread crumbs1/4 cup panko bread crumbs|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the sliced root vegetables and water in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes or until almost tender.
- Drain and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Arrange vegetables in a 9×13 baking pan coated with cooing spray.
- Combine the milk, broth, flour, salt and pepper in a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and stir until smooth.
- Pour evenly over the vegetables.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the panko and toast for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over the cheese mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.