Savory Corn and Chipotle Bread Pudding
|2 tsp olive oil|
|1/2 cup red bell pepper, minced|
|1/2 cup onion, minced|
|2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen|
|1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced|
|1 jalapeno pepper, minced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tsp ground cumin, divided|
|1 and 1/2 cups milk|
|1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, divided|
|1 tbs canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced|
|10 cups 1 inch cubes day old bread|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|Creme fraiche or sour cream for garnish, optional|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the corn, scallions, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper and 1 tsp of the cumin.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool sightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs. Add a little more salt and 1 tsp of cumin. Mix well.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese and chipolte peppers and mix.
- Stir in the corn mixture and the bread cubes and gently stir to combine well.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2 quart glass baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the pudding is set and lightly browned.
- To serve top with a dollop of sour cream or creame fraiche.