White Cheddar Gougeres
- 1 cup ap flour
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 stick cold butter
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
This is a super simple appetizer that is absolutely perfect for a cocktail party to pass around.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then lightly oil to baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and dry mustard.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, bring the water, butter and sat to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the flour mixture all at once.
- When well blended, return the pan to the heat and stir constantly until the dough is very dry and leaves a light film on the pan. About 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Stir in the cheese and blend.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets.
- Bake the first sheet for 25 minutes in the center of the middle rack, or until browned.
- Remove from the oven and prick each puff with the tip of a knife, then bake for 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the puffs to a rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining sheet.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.