Chicken and Vegetable Stew
|8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 3 lbs|
|1/2 cup flour, sifted|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|1 medium onion, sliced|
|4 bacon slices, chopped|
|2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes|
|1 large carrot, cut into discs|
|3-4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 celery stalk, thinly sliced|
|1/2 lb cauliflower florets|
|2 zucchini, sliced|
|1 (14oz) can crushed tomatoes|
|3 tbs tomato paste|
|3/4 cup dry red wine|
|3/4 cup chicken stock|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This is and easy to prepare comfort food dish that combines chicken, savory vegetables and a red wine and tomato based broth.
- Trim the chicken thighs of excess fat and sinew. Cut chicken into 1 inch chunks.
- Combine the flour along with some salt and pepper, then toss the chicken lightly in the seasoned flour and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through. About 20 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic and bacon to the pan.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion is tender and the bacon is slightly crispy. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Drain the fat, then add the potato, carrot and celery and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, cauliflower, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and stock, then season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are tender.
- Take care not to over cook.
- Add the chicken to the sauce mixture and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through.