- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 3 lbs
- 1/2 cup flour, sifted
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into discs
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb cauliflower florets
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (14oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This is and easy to prepare comfort food dish that combines chicken, savory vegetables and a red wine and tomato based broth.
- Trim the chicken thighs of excess fat and sinew. Cut chicken into 1 inch chunks.
- Combine the flour along with some salt and pepper, then toss the chicken lightly in the seasoned flour and shake off excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken over medium heat, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through. About 20 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic and bacon to the pan.
- Cook over medium heat until the onion is tender and the bacon is slightly crispy. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Drain the fat, then add the potato, carrot and celery and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, cauliflower, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine and stock, then season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are tender.
- Take care not to over cook.
- Add the chicken to the sauce mixture and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated through.