Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
|2 tbs butter, divided|
|1/2 cup onion, minced|
|1/2 cup carrot, minced|
|1/2 cup celery, minced|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|3/4 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained|
|3/4 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast|
|2 tbs flour|
|2 cups half and half|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Melt 1 tbs butter in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth and wild rice, bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes more, or until rice is tender.
- In a bowl, combine flour and the remaining melted butter to make a smooth paste.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid to dissolve the paste, then add to the soup and stir.
- Cook and stir until thickened bubbly, then add the half and half.
- Cook over medium heat until heated through, then season to taste with salt and pepper.