- 1 cup butter (1 stick)
- 2 tbs powdered ginger
- 4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp ground cumin
Qibe is a very spicy butter that is a staple in Ethiopian cooking. It is traditional used in soups and stews. It is especially good with chicken or pork. You may also slather the butter over the meats before baking.
- Melt the butter over low heat in a small, heavy pan.
- Add the spices and stir.
- Let cook over very low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Skim off the foam on the top and discard.
- Carefully pour the butter off the top into a container with a lid, leaving much of the spices and liquid at the bottom behind.
- What you want is the stuff in the middle.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Recipe can be doubled.