Rich Potato Soup with Carrots and Bacon
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 lbs) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 ribs celery including leaves, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp whole celery seed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups half and half, divided
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1 and 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 5 pieces bacon, cook crisp and broken into pieces
This rich potato soup is creamy with carrots, onions, celery, corn and spices.
- In a medium soup pot (uncovered) over medium high heat, cook potatoes, celery, carrots and onions in water until tender and the water has mostly cooked off, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir frequently, then add celery seed, cayenne, salt and pepper, and stir well well. Taste for seasoning.
- Add the milk and half and half and stir well, reserving 1/4 cup in a small bowl.
- To the reserved milk and half and half, add the cornstarch and mix until all the lumps are gone, then slowly pour into the soup while stirring.
- Heat the soup until near boiling, stirring constantly, for about 1-2 minutes until the soup starts to thicken then reduce the heat to medium low.
- Add the corn and bacon and let cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.