Indian Curried Lamb Patties
- 1 and 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils
- 3 tbs butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- rind of 1 lemon, grated
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- chopped fresh mint
These lamb patties are flavored with a delightful spice mixture of turmeric, cumin, cardamom,garlic, garam masala, and red chilies
- Soak lentils in water to cover overnight. Drain and grind in a meat grinder or food processor.
- In a large frying pan heat 2 tbs of butter over moderate heat and add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cardamom and garam masala.
- Saute stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add spice mixture, ground lentils, lemon rind, lemon juice, and yogurt to lamb and mix thoroughly and shape into oval patties.
- In same frying pan heat 1 more tbs of butter over moderate heat.
- Dredge lamb patties lightly in flour and saute slowly on both sides until done, about 8 minutes altogether.
- Place on a serving plate and sprinkle with chopped mint.
- Serve with rice and a fruit chutney.