Indian Lamb and Lentil Curry
|2 lbs boneless lamb, excess fat removed and cut into 1 inch cubes|
|1 cup dried brown lentils|
|4 tbs butter|
|1 large yellow onion, chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp crushed red pepper|
|2 tsp ground cumin|
|2 tsp fresh ginger, grated|
|1 tsp, ground turmeric|
|1 tsp ground coriander|
|1 tsp ground fenugreek|
|1 tsp ground cardamom|
|1 cup canned tomatoes, drained|
|1 cup hot water|
|2 tsp curry powder|
|1 cup yogurt|
|juice of 1 lime|
This is a deep rich Indian dish of lamb and lentils. It is spiced with garlic, onions, cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, fenugreek and curry power. This recipe has a lot of ingredients, just prepare them in advance and it will be very easy to make.
- Soak lentils in water to cover overnight, then drain.
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat 2 tbs of butter over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin, ginger, turmeric, coriander, fenugreek and cardamom.
- Saute stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes and hot water and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer over low heat while preparing the meat.
- In a large frying pan heat 2 more tbs of butter over moderate heat, then add the curry powder, salt and pepper while stirring for several minutes.
- Turn heat to high then add the lamb cubes, and brown quickly on all sides.
- Add the yogurt and mix well.
- Add the lamb mixture to the lentils and simmer, uncovered for about 2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve over rice.