Garlic Cheese Spreads
|1/2 lb cream cheese, softened|
|1/2 cup sour cream|
|3 garlic cloves, minced|
|2 tbs minced parsley|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|2 or 3 dashes angostura bitters|
Homemade cheese spreads are less expensive and offer many more options than those commercially made. Experimenting with different herb combinations is not only fun, but adds interest and bursting fresh flavors. They may also be used as dips, spreads and on crudites.
- Combine the cream cheese with the sour cream in a small bowl.
- Add the garlic and parsley, blending well.
- Add the bitters and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Add a tsp herb vinegar for a tangier flavor.
- Use ricotta to replace all or part of the cream cheese.
- Substitute 4 ozs goat cheese or feta for half the cream cheese
- Add a tbs or so of minced basil, dill or tarragon, or a tsp or so of minced rosemary, sage or thyme.