Pineapple Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
|1 and 1/2 cups flour|
|1 and 1/4 cups sugar|
|1/2 cup flaked coconut|
|2 tsp baking soda|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|2 tsp cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp ground nutmeg|
|3 tbs canola oil|
|2 large eggs|
|1 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini|
|1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple in juice (drain juice and reserve to add to batter or frosting if needed)|
|For the Frosting:|
|2 tbs butter, room temperature|
|8 oz cream cheese, room temperature|
|2 cups powdered sugar|
|2 tsp pure vanilla extract|
|1-2 pineapple juice, if needed|
Pineapple and Zucchini is an unusual combination but absolutely delicious when pared with coconut, cinnamon and sugar.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In a second bowl, combine the oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture, zucchini and pineapple to the flour mixture and beat on low until well blended.
- The batter will be stiff and dry, but it will moisten as you mix it.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until the cake is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting, combine the butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Beat at a medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla, just until smooth.
- Add a splash of pineapple juice if desired, then spread over the cooled cake.