Citrus Braised Octopus
|2 lbs of octopus tentacles, cut into 3 inch pieces|
|3-4 cups orange juice|
|1 cup lime juice|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
Octopus can be tough and requires slow braising in order to make it tender. This technique braises the octopus in orange and lime juice, then grills it over hot charcoal. You may serve the octopus right off the grill or you may serve it in tacos topped with salsa and crisp greens.
- In a large sauce pan add the orange juice and lime juice and bring to a boil.
- Add the octopus and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain the octopus, then season with salt and pepper and add to a hot charcoal grill.
- Grill for about 5 minutes per side, turning once.
- You may also serve the octopus right out of the braising liquid.
- Get creative. You can serve them as tacos or atop tostadas.
- You may also serve as an appetizer with tooth picks and crisp lettuce or other greens.