Gourmet Bar Burgers with Pepper Jack and Arugula
|4, 1/4 pound burger patties (85-15)|
|2 tbs butter, divided|
|2 cups onions, thinly sliced|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 cup mayonnaise|
|2 tsp fresh garlic, minced|
|1 and 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice|
|4 slices pepper jack cheese|
|4 burger buns|
|2 cups baby arugula|
|4 slices ripe tomato|
This burger is spicy and peppery with onions, garlic, Monterrey pepper jack cheese and Arugula.
- Melt 1 and 1/2 tbs of butter in a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the onions, salt and pepper and stir occasionally until they are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Add a little water if the onions start to brown too quickly.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- While the onions are cooking, combine the mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Stir until well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pre-heat the grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Cook patties on the grill until they are cooked until desired degree of doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side form medium well burgers.
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger and close grill to allow cheese to melt. Remove burgers.
- Melt remaining butter in microwave, then slice the burger buns and brush inside with butter and lightly grill until toasted.
- Spread garlic mayonnaise onto each burger bottom and top with some greens.
- Place one grilled burger onto each bun and top with the caramelized onions and a slice of tomato.
- Place the top of bun on burgers.