Bean and Spinach Soup
|1 cup dried white beans, navy, great northern or baby lima|
|6 cups water|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|4 cups beef broth|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/4 tsp rosemary, crushed|
|1 tsp fresh thyme|
|1/4 tsp white pepper|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|juice of 1 lemon|
|1/2 lb fresh spinach, stems removed and chopped|
This is a hearty soup, perfect for a cool fall evening. It is fresh with beans, garlic, spinach and bright with lemon juice.
- Place the beans in a large sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat, cover and let soak for 2 hours.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil again.
- Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered for about a half hour.
- Crush the garlic and mash it with salt until no large pieces remain. Add it to the sauce pan along with the beef broth,
- Simmer partially covered until the beans are tender 30-45 minutes.
- When the beans are tender, stir in the rosemary, thyme, olive oil and lemon juice.
- When ready to serve add the spinach and stir to combine.
- Serve with crusty bread.