Sweet and Spicy Chili Nuts
|1 lb of nuts (pecan halves, wall nuts, peanuts or cashews) or a combination|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|3 tbs chili powder|
|2 tsp salt|
|1 tsp ground cinnamon|
|1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg|
|2 egg whites, beaten|
These nuts are addictive with bright sweet and spicy flavors. You may use any unsalted nuts that you desire or you may use a combination of nuts.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine the sugar, chili powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, stir together the nuts and egg whites, then sprinkle the spice mixture over and combine well until evenly coated.
- Spray the baking sheet with non stick spray, then spread the nuts in a single layer on the pan.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then stir to break up any clumps.
- Bake stirring often, until the nuts are lightly browned, another 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Nuts will keep for up to 1 week.
- Makes 1 pound.