- 1/2 lb scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, stems removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
- 8-10 sprigs fresh thyme, stems and leaves
- 3 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tbs black pepper
- 2 tbs whole allspice berries
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
When cooking Jamaican Jerk, typically a dry and wet rub is used. This wet rub can be used for meats and seafood. This recipe is very spicy and calls for 1/2 pound of scotch bonnet peppers. If you want less heat reduce the peppers by half.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Rub the mixture over the desired meats or seafood and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Jerked foods are best cooked over a charcoal fire, but you may cook them in the oven.
- This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups.