Braised Fennel with Caramelized Onions
|1 large onion, thinly sliced|
|1 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|2 medium fennel bulbs|
|3/5 cup chicken stock|
|2 tbs pine nuts or chopped walnuts|
- In a skillet cook onion in hot olive oil over low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally, or until the onions are very tender and the edges are golden.
- Add balsamic vinegar and stir until the onions are coated.
- Meanwhile, trim the fennel and chop enough green feathery tops to make 2 tbs.
- Cut each fennel bulb lengthwise into 6 wedges.
- In a medium sauce pan cook fennel wedges, covered in chicken broth for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Arrange the fennel wedges on a serving plate, top with the onions, nuts and reserved fennel tops.