|1 large onion, chopped|
|6 large garlic cloves, minced|
|3 tsp fresh ginger, minced|
|2 tbs vegetable oil|
|3-4 tbs hot curry powder|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taaste|
|2 large tomatoes, diced|
|4 medium yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces|
|1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock (homemade is best)|
|1 and 1/2 lb boned chicken meat, cut into stew sized chunks|
|3 cups cooked rice|
|cilantro leaves for garnish|
|!/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced into strips|
|optional condiments: chutney, avocado, sliced hot red pepper|
- Saute onions, garlic and ginger in oil in a large skillet until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the curry, tomatoes, salt and pepper to onions and heat mixture until it begins to bubble.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth to the pan, stir to combine, then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes uncovered.
- After 20 minutes stir in the chicken meat and bell pepper, simmer for 10 minutes more or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with fresh cilantro or chopped chives.
- The condiments are optional.