Coquilles St. Jacques
|1 lb fresh scallops|
|1/4 cup butter|
|1/4 cup celery, chopped|
|1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms|
|2 scallions, chopped|
|2 tbs green pepper, chopped|
|2 tbs flour|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 bay leaf|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|1/4 cup whipping cream|
|1 egg yolk|
|1 tbs chopped pimiento|
|2 tbs butter melted|
|3 tbs dry bread crumbs|
|3 tbs Parmesan cheese|
|sage leaves for garnish|
- In a large saucepan, saute celery, mushrooms and onions in butter until tender.
- Stir in green pepper, flour, salt, pepper, bay leaf and wine, mix well.
- Add scallops, then cook over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes or until scallops are firm.
- Beat together cream and egg yolk until well mixed, then stir into scallop along with pimiento, and cook until mixture begins to bubble.
- Remove bay leaf, then spoon mixture into 4 lightly greased shells, individual baking dishes or a 1 1/2 quart shallow casserole dish.
- Combine melted butter, bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over each serving.
- Place under broiler for a few minutes to brown crumbs and heat through.