Empanadas with Raisins and Olives
|4 cups sifted flour|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|1 lb lard or vegetable shortening|
|1 cup scalded milk|
|2 large onions, coarsley chopped|
|1/2 lb ground beef|
|1/2 lb ground pork|
|3 tbs vegetable oil|
|Pinch of Oregano|
|Pinch of Cumin|
|Black pepper to taste|
|6-7 drops Tabasco|
|3-4 hard boiled eggs|
|1 cup golden raisins|
|Pitted black olives|
|2 egg whites lightly beaten|
|2 egg yolks, lightly beaten|
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine with the lard or vegetable shortening.
- Gradually add the hot milk and knead the dough until it is no longer sticky.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, covered with cloth.
- To prepare the meat filling, saute the onions along with the meat in hot oil until cooked through, then season with salt and pepper, oregano, cumin and ground bay leaf.
- When the meat has completely cooled prepare the dough.
- Roll it our very thinly and cut into circles approximately 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture on lower left of the dough circle.
- Add a black olive, some raisins and a slice of hard boiled egg.
- Close top half of the circle over all and brush the edges with egg whites and seal using the tines of a fork.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and brush the tops with egg whites.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 1/2 hour or until golden.
- Alternatively you may deep fry them at 360 degrees until golden.