Italian Pickled Mushrooms
- 1 lb small button mushrooms
- white vinegar
- Hot water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground mace
- Crushed pepper flakes
- Wash mushrooms, dry thoroughly, then cup the tips of the stems off.
- Place in a sauce pan with equal amounts of vinegar and hot water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and cool
- Pack mushrooms in 1 pint jars.
- Mix remaining ingredients and add to jars in equal amounts.
- Add enough additional vinegar to cover.
- Refrigerate for 48 hours before serving.
- This recipe may be easily doubled,