Hawaiian Sweet Bread
|1 pkg active dry yeast|
|1/2 cup plus 1 tbs warm water, divided|
|1 cup milk|
|1/2 cup butter|
|1 cup sugar|
|1/2 tsp salt|
|7-8 cups ap flour, divided|
|5 eggs, divided|
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, set aside.
- In a sauce pan combine milk, butter and salt, then heat until warm, about 110 degrees.
- Remove from heat and place in a large mixing bowl and blend in the yeast mixture.
- Stir in 4 1/2-5 cups of flour and mix well.
- Lightly beat 4 eggs and add to the dough, The mixture will be sticky.
- Set aside to let rise until double in bulk.
- Knead dough, adding enough flour until dough is elastic and no longer sticky.
- Form into 2 round loaves and place in a greased pie or round cake pans.
- Let rise again until double in bulk.
- Combine remaining egg and 1 tbs of water, beat well, then brush over risen loaves.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.