Jalapeno Meat and Cheese Poppers
|2 lbs ground meat, beer, turkey, pork or lamb|
|12 oz shredded cheddar or jack cheese|
|10 jalapenos, seeded and chopped, taste for spiciness and adjust accordingly|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 tsp whole mustard seeds|
|10 eggs, more if mixture is too tight|
|1 cup Italian bread crumbs|
|vegetable, soy or canola for frying|
- Combine ground meat, cheese, jalapeno, salt, pepper and mustard seeds in a large mixing bowl.
- Portion by hand into “popper” shape balls, about 1/2 oz each.
- Whisk eggs in a shallow dish.
- Combine bread crumbs and put in a second shallow dish.
- In a deep fryer or large sauce pan fill 1/3 full with oil and heat to 350 degrees.
- While oil is heating, roll the poppers in the egg, then in the bread crumbs, then repeat for each popper.
- Deep fry in batches for about 4 minutes or until golden brown and the meat has cooked through. Drain on a wire rack or paper towels. The wire rack is best.
- Serve with dipping sauces of your choice.
- This recipe may be halved if desired.