Jamaican Red Pea Soup with Spinners
|2 cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 quart of chicken stock, more if needed|
|2 medium onions|
|2 tsp dried thyme or 4 to 5 sprigs of fresh|
|1 scotch bonnet or Habanero pepper|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/2 lb of potatoes|
|1/2 lb of yams, pumpkin or sweet potato|
|1/2 cup coconut milk|
|Flour, water and a pinch of salt to make dough for spinners|
This Jamaican soup is made with kidney beans, onions, carrots, spring onions, thyme yams and potatoes. A simple recipe for “spinners” (dumplings) is included.
- Place kidney beans in a large sauce pan and add the chicken stock.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Chop the hot pepper, potatoes, onions, scallions, yam and carrots into small pieces.
- For the spinners mix flour with a little salt and water until it has the consistency of dough.
- Pinch a small about of the dough and roll it in your hands to make a spinner, (about 2 inches in length and 1/8 inch thick.
- Add the spinner to the pot, and repeat until you run out of dough.
- Optional: you can add chicken, pork or beef if desired.
- Let simmer for 1 hour.