Mushroom and Sherry Soup
|4 slices day old bread|
|1 tsp lemon zest|
|1 tbs lemon juice|
|Kosher salt and cracked black pepper|
|2 cups assorted wild mushrooms|
|2 cups button mushrooms, quartered|
|2 tsp extra virgin olive oil|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|6 scallions, sliced diagonally|
|2 1/2 cups chicken stock|
|4 tbs dry sherry|
|1 tbs chives, chopped for garnish|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut the bread into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the cubes of bread with the lemon zest and juice, 2 tbs of water, and fresh cracked pepper.
- Spread the bread cubes onto a lightly greased baking sheet and cook in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and crisp.
- If the mushrooms are small, leave some whole otherwise cut them in quarters.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then add the garlic and scallions and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover pan with lid and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into warm bowls, sprinkle with chives and add the lemon croutons.