Mussels in Creamy White Wine Sauce
|2 lbs mussels, cleaned|
|5-6 shallots,finely minced|
|2 large cloves, garlic, minced|
|3 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|5-6 fresh thyme sprigs, or 4 tsp dried thyme|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 cup dry white wine|
|1 cup bottled clam juice or seafood broth|
|1/4 cup heavy cream|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
- Wash the mussels and remove any beards if necessary.
- In a saute pan, add the olive oil, then saute the shallots and garlic using medium heat, until almost soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, wine, clam juice and cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened.
- Add the mussels and cover pan until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Taste for seasoning, then season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide mussels into 6 bowls and spoon broth over each bowl.