Mussels in Creamy White Wine Sauce
- 2 lbs mussels, cleaned
- 5-6 shallots,finely minced
- 2 large cloves, garlic, minced
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 5-6 fresh thyme sprigs, or 4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup bottled clam juice or seafood broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash the mussels and remove any beards if necessary.
- In a saute pan, add the olive oil, then saute the shallots and garlic using medium heat, until almost soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, wine, clam juice and cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened.
- Add the mussels and cover pan until mussels open, about 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Taste for seasoning, then season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide mussels into 6 bowls and spoon broth over each bowl.