Old South Mac and Cheese
|1 tbs light brown sugar|
|2 tsp seasoned salt|
|3 tsp garlic powder|
|2 tsp onion powder|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp white pepper|
|1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg|
|2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small chunks|
|8 oz cream cheese, room temperature|
|1 cup whole milk|
|1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk|
|3 large eggs|
|1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked to package directions|
|2 cups ( 8 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese|
|12 oz velveeta cheese, cubed and packed|
|4 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded|
|smoked paprika for garnish|
Mac and cheese is always a good idea.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using cooking oil spray, grease a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish and the non stick side of a large piece of aluminium foil, the place the dish on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Place the butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until well incorporated. Alternatively use a spoon.
- Stop to scrape down the bowl, then add the whole milk, evaporated milk and eggs and beat at low speed to incorporate until smooth.
- Combine the cooked macaroni , the shredded sharp cheddar cheese and the velveeta cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and spice mixture and stir gently to mix and coat evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and cover tightly with foil,sprayed side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and stir mixture, then recover and bake for another 15-30 minutes.
- Uncover, then sprinkle the mild cheddar cheese evenly over the top, then sprinkle lightly with the smoked paprika.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until a crust forms on the top. Serve warm.