Southern Barbecued Chicken
|3-4 lbs roasting chicken, cut into serving pieces|
|1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce|
|1/4 cup butter, softened|
|1 cup ketchup|
|1/4 cup water|
|1 small onion, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tbs apple cider vinegar|
|3 tbs brown sugar|
|3 tbs molasses|
|2 tsp chili powder|
|1 tsp cayenne pepper|
- Prepare the marinade Combining the first nine ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Cook and stir over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Let the marinade cool to room temperature.
- Place the chicken in a large glass baking dish and pour the marinade over.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours. Reserve the marinade for basting.
- Grill the chicken over medium coals, with a sprinkling of wood chips, for 15-25 minutes, basting with the marinade and turning until the chicken is cooked through.