Caribbean Peas and Rice
|3 cups cooked white rice|
|1 tbs olive oil|
|1/4 cup sofrito (onion, green pepper, cilantro, celery)|
|1 (10 oz) can tomato sauce|
|1 tbs tomato paste|
|2 1/2 cups water|
|1 (15 oz ) can pigeon peas, drained and rinsed|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1/2 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped, optional|
|2-3 tbs fresh parsley chopped|
This is a classic Caribbean recipe.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add the sofrito and rice and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and mix well.
- Pour in the water, peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley before serving.
- If you like it spicy add a little hot pepper to the sofrito before cooking.